Sports Management involves managing all the business-related matters related to sports. It is an exciting career prospect for those who would love to work behind the screens executing the logistics. Sports Management predominantly concerns handling all the administrative aspects of sports teams, sports clubs, athletes, sportspersons, sports venues, and sports events. Sports Management is required at all levels where sports are played – from schools to colleges and local, national, and international levels. It is the sports industry’s backbone and is undoubtedly one to vouch for as a healthy career option. Sports management additionally offers roles for individuals in diverse areas and functionalities.
According to FICCI- International Institute of Sports Management knowledge report, there will be a sharp increase in the number of job opportunities in the sports sector by 2022. Moreover, India has been identified as the key player in the sports market and is set to hold more international championships. There will be a whopping 19% increase in the demand for professionals in the sports industry in the upcoming years, as indicated by numerous sources. The world of sports is just going to be one of the booming fields for anyone who hops on the bandwagon.
Some of the different career options that one can don are:
- Sports Marketing: Here, basically, marketing of sporting events, leagues, competitions is of primary importance. Additionally, they have to ensure ticket sales, television viewership, viewership on online media.
- Sports Analyst: Sports Analysts are specialists who analyze various aspects of the performances of individual sportspersons, teams, and clubs. Sports Analysts often predict the likely outcome of a match; they do competitor analysis; they advise sports coaches and support staff members.
- Sports Consultant: Sports Consultants are experts working for professional athletes, sports teams, and sports organizations. They offer consultancy services ranging from corporate sponsorships of major sporting events and help teams and team players build and gain endorsement deals and contracts.
- Sports Agent: Sports agents represent sportspersons to clubs and teams. They negotiate the contracts with the clubs or teams on behalf of the sportspersons. They manage all the business and financial matters of sportspersons. They represent the sportspersons to various organizations such as advertisers who want the sportspersons to endorse their products.
- Sports Sponsorship, Marketing, and Merchandising: The main aim is getting sponsorships for sporting events, marketing, and sales of merchandise such as team jerseys, caps, and sports team’s logo, posters, and various other memorabilia.
- Sports finance & business operations: This involves managing collections from sponsorships, ticket sales, merchandise sales, and managing all accounting and financial operations.
- Sports Communication Manager: Managing and coordinating relationships with the media; sports commentary; sports journalism are among the broad spectrum of jobs.
- Sports Facility Management: The management of the various aspects of sports stadium and other venue management is the job description.
- Sports Event Management: The management of various sporting events and sports promotional events.
- Sports Operations Manager: Sports Operations Managers are involved in the planning and implementing sports leagues, competitions, or tournament operations.
- Sports Equipment Manager: Sports Equipment Managers are involved in maintaining, ordering, and stocking up athletic equipment and apparel (gears and other accessories needed by players).
- Sports Marketer: Many companies involved in sports development, sports marketing, sporting event management recruit Sports Managers.
These are just some of the multitude of career options available that elicits interest of all stakeholders concerned, and emerging fields also grabbing eyeballs soon. Sports Management in India is at grassroots levels and requires talented professionals to lead the Indian sports industry. So, if you are genuinely passionate, do take the plunge and go for it.
Sounds interesting. Want to make a career in Sports Management?
Try Mad About Sports!
Mad About Sports is a platform that helps aspiring Sports Managers to make a career in Sports by providing practical courses in Sports Management directly from industry experts. . Come, drop by, learn with us and get yourself ready for the sports industry.